With Spring temperatures and more daylight, it’s time to rediscover those outdoor activities and drop the winter weight before the summer clothes come out. Switching out a few high calorie foods and substituting with more nutritious alternatives is a great way to painlessly reduce your calories to shed a few extra pounds.
Here are some of my favorites to get you started:
- Use avocado instead of butter. Avocado is lower in calories (75 calories less per tablespoon), and higher in fiber, vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in healthy monounsaturated fat. Slice avocado on a sandwich or use one-half tablespoon avocado for every tablespoon of butter in baked goods.
- Use hummus instead of mayonnaise. Hummus will slash 65 calories per tablespoon compared to mayo and adds fiber, protein, and iron. Use hummus as a sandwich spread, in potato salad, or even as a base in some sauces.
- Use frozen fruit instead of jam. Warm up some frozen strawberries and add some cinnamon and ginger for half the calories of jam. The fruit has no added sugar and contains more vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Use marinara sauce instead of alfredo sauce. You will save 70 calories and 13 grams of fat per one-half cup of sauce.
- Use spaghetti squash instead of pasta. One cup of cooked spaghetti squash contains 160 fewer calories than one cup of pasta, and it is lower in carbohydrates and higher in vitamin C.
Be sure to include some lean protein with each meal and drink plenty of water to keep your energy levels high throughout the day. See you on the tennis court!